Comprehensive Pain Management
Pets can feel pain just like we can, especially when they are recovering from a dental procedure. Whether they underwent surgical extractions or needed to have root canal therapy, we believe that any degree of discomfort should be minimized as much as possible. The specialists at Dallas Veterinary Dentistry & Oral Surgery aim to significantly reduce or even prevent pain by taking a preemptive, multimodal approach to pain management.
Our Protocols for Reducing Pain
To ensure that our patients will receive the highest level of pain management and care, we abide by these protocols:
- Giving non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication and other analgesics such as morphine prior to general anesthesia and oral surgery
- Using nerve blocks (local and regional) before a procedure
- Administering pain medication intravenously during and after surgery if needed
- Providing take-home pain relief medication when the patient is discharged
- We suture all tooth extraction sites to prevent a painful condition known as dry socket
Customized Relief for Every Patient
Your pet’s health and comfort are just as important to us after the procedure as they are before and during. We evaluate each patient following their dental procedure and provide pain relief medication based on the type of procedure they underwent, their age, health, and how they respond to their treatment.
Because we take care to approach each patient with a pain management protocol that is attuned to their personal needs, we reduce needless risks associated with a more one-size-fits-all approach. If you have concerns about our pet’s needs, our specialists are more than happy to answer your questions and explain their recommendations. Overall, our goal is to keep your pet as comfortable and as safe as possible.
For More Information
Please call us at (817) 431-8451 if you are interested in learning more about our pain management protocols. We also recommend consulting the AAHA/AAFP Pain Management Guidelines for further information.